Monday, July 6, 2009

Open wide

Hey, Jude -

The latest and greatest in your life this week was the introduction of solid foods. Until now you've had only breast milk, so solids were a momentous addition. You tried bananas first. You loved them. Next came baby oatmeal, followed by carrots, then sweet potatoes. I think the best so far was the most recent - homemade apple and carrot puree.

You squealed with delight as you took the tiny, rubber coated, green spoon into your mouth. You opened up wide in anticipation of every bite. I expected you to be hesitant, but you never were. My boy is an amazing eater. Your little baby friends aren't eating solids yet. Most babies wait until 6 months or so, but you were ready. You stared at Daddy & me when we ate, watching the food go into our mouths. You even leaned forward with your mouth open as if trying to get a taste of what we were having. We knew it was time to start you on solids at 4 months old.

As I was peeling and chopping the apples and carrots this evening I was thinking about years ago before you were born how I said I'd make my own baby food when the time came. Then today I did just that. I readied the steamer pot, put the chunks of nutritious fruit and veg into the basket, and thought about how every part of what I was making for you was wholesome and good. That was a great feeling - knowing I was helping your little body and mind grow up big and strong and healthy. Daddy and I want you to inherit our love of food and our appreciation of sustainable, local eating.

You've liked every new food you've tried so far and I very much hope that stays with you. I want you to like trying new things. You may hear some people say that you should try everything once. I disagree. My motto is "Try everything twice. Give everything a second chance." That applies to many things - new hobbies, new music, new friends, new ideas. The same goes for new foods. Try it twice. If you didn't like it the first time try it again later. You just might be surprised at what you grow into.

I love you my Jude, my hungry boy, my happy boy,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment