Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Out and about

Hey, Jude -

It's been a few weeks since I've written here for you. It's been a very busy time for our family. We moved! We moved right around the corner from the apartment we lived in for 3 years before you were born into an apartment just a short half-block away. Now we have 2 bedrooms so you have your very own room. You're a lucky boy. Not many kids in the city get their own rooms. You'll appreciate that when you're a little bit older. It is rather hectic to move - all the packing and hauling and unpacking - so I've had little time to come here and put my thoughts down for you. Luckily, I've gotten to spend a lot of time talking to you and telling you all the things I would have written here if I had the chance.

You are growing into a boy who loves the outdoors. This warms my heart. When you were a tiny baby, only 7 days old, I carried you in your sling while I walked around the neighborhood. I explained the trees and the wind and the sun and moon to you. As you've gotten a little older (almost 5 months now!) you've really taken a liking to trees. You gaze up at the branches and leaves when we're in the park. At home you look out our 3rd floor windows at the big tree outside and you smile. You grin at nature and that makes me very proud.

Being inside is good. It lets you cool down on an especially hot day, warm up when it's cold out, sleep comfortably, take shelter from the elements, all the things that keep people safe and sound. But, always try to spend some time outside every day. Even just taking a walk around your neighborhood will do you some good. The breeze will blow across your face and remind you that whatever your preoccupations, you're a small member of a larger natural order. Respect nature and everything in it. Recycle and reuse and take good care of the Earth. It will take good care of you.

I love you, my Jude, my kind boy, my nature boy.
Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment